Title: Madonna in Glory with Seraphim
Artist: Alessandro di Mariano di Vanni Filipepi (Sandro Botticelli), Italian
Medium: Tempera on Panel.
Style: Early Renaissance; Religious painting.
Notes & Analysis of the Artwork
Monumental style figures.
Setting and scene are represented as so:
- Mary is enthroned on cloud in the glory of the seraphim.
- Multiple angels are seen surrounding her like a crown.
- The Child Christ raises hand in blessing.
- Focus on the gaze of his eyes looks directly at the viewer.
- The cruciform nimbus surrounds his head.
- Foreshadows future biblical events.
Succession in the theme deliverance.
- Highlights the expression of tension.
- Sacred in sensitivity.
- Mary, fully aware of the passion her son will suffer.
- Holds him protectively in her arms.
- Mary’s gaze on Christ, Jesus’ gaze on the viewer.
Colors that deliver the theme’s ambiance.
The Red tells the story of a mother’s love.
- Wears it on the inside, closeted to her heart.
- Delivers affection, warmth, and passion.
The Black showcases protection.
- Covered over Mary.
- Showcases her desire to protect her child.
- Doesn’t dominate the painting, adds authority.
The Gold tells of devotion and positivity.
- Engulfs the surrounding of the paintings.
- Represents divine inclusion.
- Direct connection between the angels and baby Christ.