Title: Adoration of the Shepherds
Artist: Andrea Mantegna
Medium: Tempera & Oil
Period: Early Renaissance
Style/Genre: Religious Painting
Notes & Analysis of the Artwork
The Gold (Dixie) for religion.
- Connected to Joseph and Mary.
- Use to show divinity
- Omnipresence of god
- Wisdom and virtue
The Red (Cinnabar), does not serve as any type of bad luck or negative energy, but for love.
- Worn by both important and prominent figures in the painting, Joseph and Mary.
The Green (Kelp) promises of growth and hope, surrounding most of the painting.
- The fertility of the trees and highlighting the riverbank.
- Highlighted in the olive branch (right of painting).
The Blue (Rum) stands for and showcases harmony.
- Highlighted in the sky.
- Used to display serenity and guidance.
HEX, RGB, & CMYK Color Coding below! HEX | R-G-B | CMYK