Title: Jupiter and Io
Artist: Correggio (Antonio Allegri da Correggio)
Year: 1531 – 1532
Medium: Oil on Canvas
Period: Mannerism (Late Renaissance)
Style/Genre: Mythological Painting
Notes & Analysis of the Artwork
The White/Beige (Beryl Green) shows intoxication and timelessness.
- Shown in the dress, connects it to Jupiter and Io’s desires.
- Calm, warm, and inviting.
- Compliments the grey and shows exclusion of time.
The Grey (Bitter) presents maturity and uncontrol.
- Jupiter’s presence of mature and engulfs most of the painting.
- The dark grey shows Jupiter’s lack of self-discipline.
- God’s lack of control over the human world.
- Neutral tone to show a lack of balance.
The Gold (Buddha) represents the gods and compassion.
- IO sitting on the gold hay connects her to royalty.
- Gold of the gods reveals Jupiter’s ego, always greeting his way.
- Connection to white shows the lust for compassion.
- Heightens the erotica pleasures.
The Green of the sky, (Stromboli) highlights emotion and expression.
- The small presence shows a natural beauty.
- Adds a sense of naturalism.
- Tones down the grey of Jupiter trying to add balance.
HEX, RGB, & CMYK Color Coding below! HEX | R-G-B | CMYK